Sunday, May 13, 2007

What to do with Rhubarb?

This summer we joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program, so we pick up a grocery bag full of fresh 100% organic produce (grown locally) each Saturday in the City Market.
This weekend was our second week and so far we have had great asparagus, swiss chard, spinach, radishes and to my delight...fresh strawberry jam! My husband is perfect because he likes toast and I like jam. He likes the cupcake, I like the icing. It works out very well.

We have also received rhubarb two weeks in a row. Instead of letting it go to waste...again, I decided to make a rhubarb crumble. It was great; much to everyone's surprise. (Was the visible and verbal shock 1) that rhubarb was good OR 2) that I made it and it tasted so good?) Rhubarb has a real tart flavor and the cup of sugar definitely counters it, I would use 3/4 cup of sugar next time. Side note: I love crisps and crumbles. They remind me of growing up because my mother would always make fruit crisps and there is no better way to take enjoy fresh spring fruit....it is easy and delish.

The recipe called for 6 cups of chopped rhubarb. I had about 4 1/2 cups, so I raided the freezer and found half a bag of Dole Frozen Mixed Berries with no sugar. So I actually made a rhubarb & mixed berry crumble.

Here is the recipe, from The Ultimate Southern Living (of course):
Rhubarb Crumble:
1 cup uncooked regular oats
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter
6 cups chopped rhubarb (1 1/2 pounds)
1 cup sugar
Combine first 4 ingredients; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
Combine rhubarb and sugar; toss gently, and place in a greased 8- or 9-inch square baking dish. Top rhubarb mixture with oats mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with ice cream, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings

No comments: