Friday, May 25, 2007

Strawberry Fields...


I spent last weekend at my parent's farm near Lake of the Ozarks. They have a great garden with potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, squash, onions, peppers and...strawberries. Strawberries that were ready to be picked and turned into a childhood favorite, my grandmother's strawberry pie.
I do subscribe to the philosophy that most things related to Southern cooking have gelatinous qualities. Julia Reed, who writes fashion/food/politics for Vogue, Newsweek and the New York Times (she is my hero) has a great book about the South and devotes an entire chapter to jello molds. Most wouldn't consider Missouri the South, but I grew up with many Southern traditions.

This recipe is really easy, calls for about 2 pints of strawberries and just begs for a dollop of freshly whipped cream.

Strawberry Pie from my grandmother:
Prepare either a homemade or store bought pie shell. Bake and cool.
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 drops red food coloring
3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin

Cook together all ingredients but gelatin. When mixture is smooth and clear, add gelatin. Stir to dissolve.
Cool and pour over fresh, whole strawberries in freshly baked pie shell. Cool in refrigerator a few hours to let set before serving. Enjoy.

No comments: