Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Starker's Reserve

Saturday night we celebrated our anniversary at Starker's Reserve on the Country Club Plaza. We wanted to go elsewhere, but waited too long to make reservations, so we decided on Starker's. I've never been there and always wanted to.

The food was excellent, their menu is posted online and changes seasonally, so we knew about our options. The Caesar salad was beautifully presented with dressed romaine leaves stacked with Parmesan shavings and an anchovy on top. I had the mixed greens with granny smith apple, candied pecans and Maytag blue cheese. It was wonderful as well.

For my entree, I chose sea bass with mussels over angel hair pasta, fennel, with a green olive tapenade. (That must be last night's inspiration.) It was amazing. The fish was cooked perfectly, the mussels made me wish I could have ordered only mussels. Others had pork tenderloin, beef filet and rib eye. Everyone loved their food. The wine list was great.

But something was not quite right. The ambiance was all wrong. We were too young, and we're not that young, to feel so old. I'm sad to say, we should have saved Starker's for our 15th anniversary.

No comments: