Tuesday, August 7, 2007

My Blueberry Mojito

The first time I had a Blueberry Mojito was at the "Blue" Hotel in Sydney. It was deliciousness in a tall glass...I vowed to make them myself someday. That day arrived last weekend, as we prepared to celebrate one of our good friend's birthday. The City Market must have known I had something up my sleeve since it sent about a zillion limes and a huge bunch of mint home with me that Saturday morning. My fortuitous stash of frozen fresh blueberries were also waiting to showcase their loveliness. We spent the rest of the evening searching for a comparable cocktail to no avail. My only warning is if you make these, make a lot...they go down fast and your guests will want more.

BLUEBERRY MOJITO
adapted from Bon Appétit, January 2001

3 cups (packed) fresh mint leaves
9 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) +berries for garnish
1 1/2 cups light rum
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
6 cups club soda
6 cups crushed ice
6 lime wedges
Reserve 6 mint leaves for garnish. Place remaining mint leaves in medium bowl. Add sugar and blueberries. Mash with wooden spoon until mint is aromatic and oils are released. Add rum and lime juice and stir until sugar dissolves. Strain mixture into pitcher.
Add club soda to pitcher; gently stir. Fill each of 6 glasses with 1 cup crushed ice. Pour mojito over and garnish each glass with 1 mint leaf, a few blueberries and 1 lime wedge.
Bon Appétit, January 2001
Posted by Picasa

No comments: